Online Facts and Figures ( IAB figures )
• There are now 32m people online, 65% of the total GB Adult population (BMRB Internet Monitor Aug 2008 & TGI.net Wave 15).
• 15.4m households now online in the UK (Continental Research Autumn Internet Report 2007).
• Women 25-34 now spend more time online than men in the same age group (Ofcom Aug 2007)
• 12.6m people accessed the internet whilst at work in the last month (BMRB TGI.net, Wave 15 to Sept 2007)
• Sites where people can buy products or services are still proving to be the most popular online destinations with 20.7m people doing so in the last month (BMRB, Aug 2008).
• Most popular online activities (BMRB, Aug 2008)
• Using email 29.9m
• Sourcing info on activity/interest 24.5m
• Site of a particular brand or product 22.6m
• Compare prices 20.8m
• Travel plans 17.8m
• 13.2m households in the UK have a broadband connection (Continental Research, Autumn 2007).
• This accounts for 92% of all internet users, up from 90% a year before (BMRB, Aug 2008).
• Almost 3 quarters (70%) of home broadband user services are now above 2MB (BMRB, May 2008).
• 46% using wireless broadband connection in the last month (BMRB Internet Monitor, May 2008).
• Broadband penetration is expected to continue rising, it is predicted that broadband will be in 75% of all homes by 2010 (PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Global Entertainment and Media Outlook 2007-2011)
• 76% of internet users are now going online every day or most days (BMRB, Aug 2008).
• UK internet users are spending an average of 23 hours a week online (YouGov, Sept 2006).
• The average length of each user session is 53 minutes (Nielsen Netratings, Sept 2006).
• The UK online advertising industry is valued at £1,682.5 the first half year of 2008 taking a
• 18.7% share of the UK advertising industry (IAB/PwC October 2008).
• Search accounts for 58.3% of all online advertising; display 19.8% and classifieds 21.5%. The
• IAB continues to track spend on solus email campaigns which accounted for 0.4% of the market
• (IAB/PwC, October 2008).
• Search revenues grew by 28.7% year-on-year, display by 16.3% and classifieds by 30.2% (IAB/PwC, October 2008).
• £46.6bn was spent online during 2007 (IMRG, January 2008).
• 21.3m people now shop online in the UK, spending an average of £661 each in the last six months (BMRB, Aug 2008).
• By 2011 32m UK consumers will be shopping online. The value of goods they buy online in 2011 will add up to almost £52bn. (Forrester, UK eCommerce Forecast 2006-2011, March 2007)